pandita putra

Friday, November 19, 2004

TV on GNU/Linux...!

Yo!!! TV on my GNU/Linux installation is finally working!
But I deserve a kick in the butt. Thanks for Nitin who put
me on the right track for troubleshooting the issue. I
hate it when I do this.... I forgot to check syslog :(

Nitin suggested that I insmod the bttv driver and see if
syslog records any errors. So I got around to removing the
bttv module first, then inserted the module with the card=37
option. The module got inserted without any hitch and syslog
didnt report any errors. But what caught my eye was a line
which said "using tuner=-1". Now I was sure that I had given
tuner type=5 in modules.conf. So removed the tuner module as
well and then inserted it back by
insmod tuner type=5

Then I check syslog and aha! I see a line "tuner type forced
to 5 (PAL-BG...". Now I was pretty sure that xawtv would work.
I ran scantv and sure enough it picked up all the channels.
THen I ran xawtv. But this time there was no video, but only
audio... Thankfully xawtv gave a very informative warning
message that both DGA and GLX were not enabled in the xserver.
SO i had comment out a line that disable DGA and uncomment
a line to enable GLX in the xorg.conf (yup, me running xorg
6.8), restart the xserver and voila! Now, days of the Windows
installation on my PC are numbered... :-D

Boy! Am i happy.....

1 Comments:

  • You'll still need WinDoze for games, at least the really cool ones. Agreed Doom 3 does come for Linux but good luck picking that off the streets for Rs. 100/-
    I still maintain that until the gaming scene improves for Linux, there's going to be a Windows partition on our PCs. Or some like me will just give up on Linux at office because it made no sense to reboot into winxp every evening.

    By Blogger Sujith, at 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home